Are you interested in teaching Yoga and Mindfulness within the criminal justice system? Transformation Yoga Project is offering a special training for yoga teachers, social workers and committed yoga practitioners interested in working with people in prisons, jails, juvenile detention centers or re-entry programs.
Saturday, 10/22 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Sunday, 10/23 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
This is a two day workshop, led by Brianne Murphy and Mike Huggins, from Transformation Yoga Project and hosted by Dhyana Yoga. The workshop will reflect their experience leading Yoga and Mindfulness classes throughout the criminal justice system. This workshop will focus on a trauma informed approach to teaching yoga including both theoretical and practical applications of yoga to this underserved population. This will be an intimate setting limited to 25 participants and will include several hands-on practical exercises.
Early Bird special – $225 per person until October 9, then $250. Limited to 25 participants
Topics will include:
- What is trauma, the various types of trauma, and how it manifests within the criminal justice system
- How does trauma affect the mind, body and ability to confront the challenges in our lives?
- How to use Yoga and Mindfulness to heal the mind-body connection and provide tools to calm, focus and find personal strength and balance
- How a trauma-sensitive Yoga and Mindfulness class is different from a regular yoga class;
- Review of evidence supporting the effectiveness of yoga within the criminal justice system
- Approaches for establishing yoga classes in prisons, detention centers, and within the criminal justice system.
- Approaches for establishing yoga classes in youth detention centers & youth shelters.
- What to include and what to avoid in teaching a trauma-sensitive Yoga and Mindfulness class.
- Instruction in specific asana, pranayama and meditation practices that have been proven effective with this population.
Dhyana Yoga RITTENHOUSE/CENTER CITY
1611 Walnut, 4th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Contact: Brianne Murphy Brianne@transformationyogaproject.org